View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Home Page Home Page  [ 2 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Politics - And Why We Shouldn't Discuss It
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:48 am 
Clan Member

I can't speak for those of us who are not US residents, but there WAS a time (not that long ago) when people in the other political party were not considered dirty rotten lying agents of satan out to destroy the country.

There was a time when the major political parties disagreed about policy and theory, but each party didn't make a practice of having it's own "facts". Nixon could not be impeached today. He was impeached in his own time because members of his own party were able to stand up and say "I don't like this, but facts are facts."

Not these days.

The combination of these two elements (1) utter and total demonization of people for having different political views, and (2) widespread propagation of falsehoods as fact, renders any sort of reasonable, courteous, and useful political discourse completely impossible.

Anyone who wants to see real change and moderacy in this country is going to have to pull their heads out of their comfort zones, put ideology aside, and prepare to compromise. And I can't find ANYONE willing to do so. People just want to quote Michael Moore or Glenn Beck, or drag any opposing political perspective off into the most ridiculous hyperboles--essentially rehearsing their prejudices and finding ways to pigeonhole each other.

I'm a democrat, but I'm a moderate democrat, and I think there's a lot of room for agreement in this country--but when we demonize each other like good little ideologues we essentially abdicate our power to those who very much want us to keep fighting amongst ourselves and are happy to keep feeding us disinformation to that end.

The poisonous political climate in this country makes venturing into such topics foolhardy--I've been politically active since the 80's and I have yet to see a measured discourse uncolored by propaganda--whether its nutty left-wing propaganda or wacky right-wing propaganda. And since we are so invested in our particular brand of poison these days, I strongly suggest we avoid venturing into such topics either in-game or in the forums--poison kills.

It only took a few "Obama" jokes in a game last night and my counter mention that I was a very happy Obama voter for someone to say "yeah let's not talk about that Queenie, because I used to think you were a nice person".

Ouch. :(

I'm not going to name names, but this is what I mean. If simply being a member of the other party is enough to make someone "not a nice person" then this is a topic that is best avoided at all costs.

I *am* a democrat, and an atheist, and a liberal--and I *am* a nice person. There's nothing wrong with me.

And there are plenty of conservative Christian republicans, and conservative libertarians on our server who are all nice people and there's nothing wrong with them.

If we can't venture into those topics without disliking each other, let's not go there, ok?

I raise this because there was some mention of perhaps discussing this stuff on the forums instead of in game. I think we shouldn't do it in either place. Too much poison, and I personally have no patience when it comes to propaganda being presented as fact.

So, to be clear, I'm not discussing politics here... I'm discussing discussing politics. :D

Thoughts? Mods if this topic is too frightening a prospect, please feel free to delete this post or shut the topic down.

-- Chuck Seggelin, Sagewood Studios
Photographer * Secular Humanist * Moderate Democrat

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist. -- Dom Helder Camarra

Post subject: Re: Politics - And Why We Shouldn't Discuss It
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:15 pm 
Over Lord

re: It only took a few "Obama" jokes in a game last night and my counter mention that I was a very happy Obama voter for someone to say "yeah let's not talk about that Queenie, because I used to think you were a nice person".

Ouch.

CONSIDER THE SOURCE........ The person who reponded to you was not trying to make an intelligent response, he was trying to stir the pot - in my opinion.

I agree with NOT talking politics - You are a wise clan member/person Chuck - I appreciate your thoughts and opinions

ImageImageImage

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 2 posts ]