Home Page Home Page  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: DISCUSSION TOPIC: WEAPONS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:28 pm 
Sarge

By the way guys, we have a new Ballistic Bonus pack out.
http://www.runestorm.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=67601

It adds a lot of realistic guns, though is VERY IMBALANCED. I'm working on a balance pack which you guys can play with here. [Work In Progress] You can also download it here at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=207

Here are the guns it adds:
- P90 Submachinegun - Accurate but weak SMG. Good when used in bursts.
- MK23 Pistol - Inaccurate but controllable pistol. Nice and strong. Works kinda like the M806 but has a silencer.
- M7A3 Assault Rifle - Accurate and controllable AR. Better at range than the M50 but weaker than the others.
- M99 Barrett - A super strong, one shot .55 cal rifle! Think of it as the big brother to the X83 Barrett.
- RPG-7 Launcher - A strong direct fire rocket that spirals around. It's slower than the SM-AT but faster than the G5. It's not nearly as overpowered as the G5 with only one shot and no guidance systems.
- SPAS-12 Shotgun - An incredibly strong shotgun that beats all other shotguns in range and damage.
- Desert Eagle - A black AH208 that uses .50 cal ammo. Has more damage but is hard to control. No laser or pistol whip either.

Also, my pack is having updates too:
- The M30A2, the black sniper M50 with the special firemodes is being completely changed! Now it acts like an M16 and shoots in 3 round bursts.
- The AH208, the huge silver pistol is going to be dual wieldable!
- The RS04 .45 is getting weaker and will reload quicker.
- Quite a couple guns will have Call of Duty style camo patterns that add special functions. ;) [Here's a picture of the special ABA Winter camo.]

Last edited by Sergeant Kelly on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:10 am 
Over Lord

Sergeant Kelly, I would like to personally thankyou for your work and effort in these weapons. As you know we use them here and promote them as well. We look forward to your updated release, and {ABA}ABadAss and myself will be looking at these weapons to be added in the near future/soon. As this weapon discussion is in progress, {ABA}ABadAss and myself will need to discuss if we want to add these weapons right away, or clear some of the present weapons being discussed. Both of us have been trying not to say to much about certain weapons as we are monitoring what the general idea is about them. So if you are wondering why admin has not replied to these posts - it is because of this. Do not consider this discussion closed, please continue to discuss if you have something to comment on. We admin will reply again later, after we have reached a conclusion of what we would like to do! We will do our best to take all players opinion into consideration, so if you have something to say post it!

Work before play, and if work becomes play - PLAY HARD!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:51 am 
Clan Member

Iv been watching to see who's been using what and trying to justify
all these weapons
The bots use the laser golden gun the most and the newer players use it the least
if at all.
It at least need to be a none spon weapon. But its removal whould help every one
I can not justify the land mines in any way
The dark star belong in world of warcraft
Question
Can the land mines be turned in to antitank mines thy whould be highly visible then
and might keep the miners happy
Can we get a big ol chainsaw and or a baseball bat

Image My spelling sucks figure it out

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:57 pm 
Sarge

There's a mutator out there that makes mines more visible in team games, here's a link: http://www.moddb.com/mods/ballistic-wea ... tator-pack

This one also forces players to walk while using the sights, which lets you use them on the move.

Also, there's already a baseball bat in junk wars. Though a chainsaw may or may not be in the next pack. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:40 pm 
Sarge

I'd suggest if it's cool with the admins that we have a vote on which weapons should stay or go-

I think it's fair to say that only a few weapons need to be on that list- all of which have been extensively discussed here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:48 am 
Over Lord

Before {ABA}ABadAss and myself decided if we are or are not going to do a poll on weapon in discussion. We are only getting feedback from the current registered users. I would suggest that anyone reading this, would mention to players ingame that there are discussion on the weapons at our website. That if they want a voice in these matters that they should register and post replies.

Work before play, and if work becomes play - PLAY HARD!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:42 am 
Clan Member

Who uses it
mines Newer players and bots
As much as I hate mines they are a balancer
But they need to be out of the hands of the bots
laser
Top players and bots
Not a balancer Almost imposable to shake a bot with a laser
staff
Top players
Might as well use an invincibility cheat
Auto lock
Hardly any one uses it any more

If you disagree with my finding please explain why

And the more I look at it
Every one makes a lot of cheep kills
If they didn't see it coming its a cheep kill
As long as there is more then just pistols and knives your going to have them

Image My spelling sucks figure it out

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:58 am 
Clan Member

I agree there are some weapons in the game that are out of control because they are extremely unbalanced. What's the best combat tactic against a guy camping with a self-guided RPG? Die a lot trying to get close. Or get your own self-guided RPG. If your options against a weapon are simply die a lot or go get the same weapon then skill is no longer the deciding factor... and if skill is not the deciding factor then the weapon unbalances the game.

In my opinion, these weapons unbalance the game:

1. GSRX Golden Pistol - it SELF CHARGES... QUICKLY! And you can carry two of them! AND the laser does ridiculous amounts of damage rapidly. You can easily get megakills with this pistol... it should not be easy to get megakills with a pistol. Yes I use this pistol, because if I don't somebody else (including bots) will. This gun should be GONE, flat out GONE. It's great to have a sort of superweapon in the game--but there's a reason the redeemer was a one shot weapon.

2. G5 RPG, Self-Guided mode - there are countermeasures against the G5 in its various modes, but the self-guided mode is ridiculous--yes you can shoot the rocket down if you know it's coming, but most of the time you don't, especially when the weapon is being abused (i.e. being used specifically to target people who are already engaged in combat with other players.) It's incredibly inappropriate to be dominating all comers with combat skill only to be taken out by a weapon which steers itself (AROUND CORNERS GIVE ME A BREAK). There are only a million ways to make this weapon more reasonable... it never ceases to amaze me that none of them were implemented. The self guided mode on the G5 should be GONE, or, like the AVrIL it should require you to keep the target painted until impact, and it shouldn't steer itself around cover.

3. Both Staves - come on, what have these got to do with realistic combat? You can charge them on your own bots (and BTW, I HATE it when my teammies charge their staves on me--it screws me up) and once they get to whatever magical state it is, they turn into ridiculous weapons granting the user ridiculous powers. Nobody needs these weapons and they don't match the game flavor anyway, they should be gone.

4. Benelli Shotgun - there's no such thing as a "sniper shotgun", and any map that has it (Boom Boom Bridge springs to mind) simply becomes a game of "get to the Benelli first" unless there are vehicles handy. It so unbalances Boom Boom Bridge that simply staying away from the Benelli area can reduce your deathrate by 90%. Mostly because people pick it up and then sit there waiting for the next person who wants to pick it up.

Borderline weapons for me are the M5 (come on, it can rapid fire grenades and holds like 40 of them? get real) and the lightning gun (anything that locks you down and keeps you from responding is pretty silly).

I for one would like to see the redeemer come back and also the translocator... these would make great answers to some of the more ridiculous weapons out there.

In my opinion these weapons do NOT unbalance the game:

1. Land Mines - in fact these balance the game--they are a great way to deal with someone abusing the staves or the GSRX Golden Pistol. Unlike the self-guided G5, if you are cautious enough it's pretty hard to step on one. Plus your own mines can blow you up and they will if you place too many... you'll never remember where they all are. They *can* be abused though--it does get irritating if everybody just starts dropping mines all over the place. Easiest solution? Modify the mines to self detonate when the person who placed them dies (just like spidermines did--to solve this very problem.) Or give the mines a lifespan. If nobody steps on it in say 2 minutes, it self detonates. People planting too many? Add a risk factor... 10% chance the mine blows when you plant it. That would solve the problem. Another solution would simply be to make the mines more realistic--make it take a minimum of 10 seconds to plant one.

2. The Golden Gun - I'm surprised that people complain about this at all. It comes with 1 or 2 bullets, and that's it. It's a one shot anti-vehicle weapon. There's no way this unbalances the game. If you are on foot and are a skilled dogfighter, I'm not going to be able to hit you with it (unlike the lightning gun which sucks you in and holds you)--problem solved. If you are rolling around in a tank, well you should be at risk to anti-vehicle weapons.

3. The Recoilless Rifle - it isn't self guided, it doesn't have any sort of guidance options, it requires time to stabilize, it needs to be laboriously reloaded after every shot. It's far more realistic than the G5 RPG. It's a rocket for chrissakes... you shouldn't be able to "dodge it". Entrenched recoilless rifle campers are prime targets for stealth/snipe operations--at least their weapon isn't going to magically find you for them like the G5 does.

In closing--these are my opinions--they are neither right nor wrong so please don't bite my head off if you disagree.

-- Chuck Seggelin, Sagewood Studios
Photographer * Secular Humanist * Moderate Democrat

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist. -- Dom Helder Camarra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:20 pm 
Sarge

Due to the GRSXX abuse I've seen on servers and in the hands of bots, the first thing I did when I started Version 9 was nerf it.

The new GRSXX laser is completely different so it cannot be abused even if it gets incorrectly put in a starter bin. The laser battery now lasts 1/20th of the old version but is much stronger. So instead of just running around with it on and killing people, you have to aim it for a short burst.

Also, due to the tendency of SM-AT/AA's being used as super snipers, I'm thinking of giving it a permanently activated laser. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:24 pm 
Clan Member

We are getting more people placing mines on weapon lockers than ever before. I think most of them are newer to our server but I have seen them play before and they should know the rules. I always make them aware at least a couple of times but it seems like they aren't listening or don't check messages. Not sure what can be done if anything but it does get frustrating after awhile. Banning mines would take care of this for good.......

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next